Heating your home accounts for about 42 percent of your total energy use, so it makes sense to consider new ways to manage your comfort and budget. Heating and cooling experts like those at DuctWorks Heating & Air Conditioning are a great resource for tips on improving efficiency. Below are our top six suggestions for staying warm and saving money.
- Have your furnace cleaned and checked. Regular maintenance is a simple step that can lower your energy needs and your utility bill. When your furnace is running at its best, it can save you money every month, and keep going longer without needing expensive repairs. (To save $35 on this service right now, check out our specials.)
- Change your filters. Replacing the air filter as recommended helps your furnace run five to 15 percent more efficiently, and that means more savings and cleaner air for you and your family.
- Get a programmable thermostat. It’s easy to save when you schedule minimum home heating for those times when you’re away or asleep. Consider a Wi-Fi compatible model, and you’ll be able to “call in” changes from your phone.
- Keep drafts out. Recaulking or covering poorly sealed windows can make a big difference when it comes to keeping cold out and heat in.
- Let sunshine in. Solar heat is a wonderful thing, so open curtains and shades on sunny days. Besides improving the temperature in the room, sunlight can also improve your mood!
- Add a humidifier. Adding moisture can make the air feel a few degrees warmer, without bumping up the temperature setting—and your heating bill. A humidifier also helps fight dry winter skin and annoying static electricity.